[Mnbird] Sax-Zim visit

Philip Frazier fraphi at bethel.edu
Wed Mar 14 11:33:11 CDT 2018

I returned yesterday from an all da birding trip to Sax Zim bog area.
No Owls or Hawk Owl or Boreal Owls. No Woodpeckers. I did see Gray Jay
and Hoary Redpolls at the visitor center feeders. I saw a Northern
Shrike on Arkola road, just East of Stickney road junction. Saw a
Spruce Grouse close up, very tame sitting right on roadside going West
on LakeNichols road. I have seen these birds in Colorado and grew up
in Tennessee with Ruffed Grouse so no confusion. Saw two Black billed
Magpies on McDavitt road. One Eagle on Admiral road and Crows at
various places during the day. The visitor center is closed for winter
season. I have been birder for over 50 years.
Phil Frazier