[Mnbird] Freeborn County

Al Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Wed Jul 4 10:07:48 CDT 2018

  It is certainly a Dickcissel year. I hope their abundance foretells all good things. The world seems to be filled with newly minted robins. Trumpeter Swans, Sandhill Cranes and Gray Partridges have made themselves available for my viewing.
  The Red-necked Grebes that had been nesting in Freeborn County are no longer doing so. They made three or four attempts at nesting. The pair carried nesting materials to two different sites about 20 feet apart on the same day, so I’m not sure if that should count as one or two attempts. It was a disagreement as per the best location, I reckon. At least one egg had been laid. The grebes were persistent, but the rain was unrelenting and the rising water destroyed each nest.
  I read in MRVAC’s Trumpeter that Pat Telfer had died. Pat was a driving force in Minnesota Audubon and she and her husband, Jack, opened their home to me when Audubon meetings went long. I appreciated her friendship. I also bid farewell to Earl Jacobsen of Albert Lea. Jake had been a humble servant of the Albert Lea Audubon Society and other organizations for many years. He did so with grace. He loved the earth and the sky. As he paused at my pal’s funeral, the minister said, “Listen to the beauty of nature.”
  I’ll be listening, but these birders will be missed.

Al Batt