[Mnbird] Flicker

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Fri Dec 21 16:21:23 CST 2018

A female Yellow-Shafted Flicker was at my feeders today at 1 pm. It was eating suet, much of it Flicker-style, poking its bill in the fat, and then sitting there, I assume sticking her tongue inside and lapping up the beef fat. (My suet feeder is on the trunk of a tree which I believe woodpeckers prefer.) She also ate some suet in the traditional woodpecker style.

Then she flew to a tubular peanut feeder. She took some time figuring it out, but then stayed there extracting morsels for a much longer time than the usual visitors to the peanut larder. Perhaps she really needed to feed. I don't even see Flickers at my feeders in the summer.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka