[Mnbird] Strange downy woodpecker

Paul Wicklund p.wicklund at mchsi.com
Mon May 22 21:14:17 CDT 2017

This afternoon in our yard in Wayzata, Hennepin County, we were visited by a downy that puzzled me. It was black and buffy-orange! All the places that should have been white were colored (like the color of an avocet head and neck). There were no white areas at all! Can't imagine what it could have eaten to cause the color and it was so completely colored, it wasn't as if it had just come in contact with something that would have colored some of the feathers.
Any ideas?
Jan Wicklund

Sent from my iPad