[Mnbird] Southern Minnesota - Birding - 5/11/17

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Fri May 12 21:42:51 CDT 2017

5/11/17

I completed my 2017, MRVAC Birdathon outing on Thursday with Karol Gresser and George Lahr.  We spent time birding in Hennepin, Scott, Dakota, Rice and Steele counties.  I ended the day with 108 species.  Some of the locations we birded were:

Steele County - Rice Lake State Park

Dakota County - 180th Street Marsh

                            - Randolph Industrial Park

                            - Lake Byllesby

                            - Spring Lake Park Reserve - Schaar's Bluff

                            - MVNWR - Cliff Fen Park

Hennepin County - MVNWR - Old Cedar Ave.

There were lots of migrants at Rice Lake State park, including:

Forster's Tern - flock of 54

Woodpecker's - 7 species were observed in the park

Yellow-throated & Blue-headed Vireo

Thrushes - Veery, Gray-checked,