[Mnbird] Goofy Birds

Brian and Cindy bcdrill at charter.net
Wed May 10 17:08:05 CDT 2017

So, we have a couple of the tiered fountains in our yard that the birds
love to bathe in and drink from.  In most conditions, they do require
filling daily due to evaporation, so when I came home from work
yesterday I filled them as usual.  Except, in one of them I found
'foreign objects'--bits of bread, a chunk of bunny skin (ewww), and
something that I wasn't quite sure of until later on when the light bulb
went on: kibble bits, soaked and floating. I rinsed it out and filled
it, confused.

Later, I saw from an observation point a crow made 2 stops at the
fountain.  Ah Ha!!  This morning, I went out to find an entire slice of
bread laid across the top tier of the fountain like a cherry on the
top.  Thank you very much.

I had a cylinder of wire fence earlier used to protect a plant in the
garden that I dug out and was able to place over the top two levels of
the fountain.  It appears it will discourage the crow from landing on
it, but some of the songbirds are confused as well.  Hopefully it will
unlearn its trick and I can remove the fence in a few days.  Cindy in
North Mankato

---