[Mnbird] related, and belated, Lac qui Parle Weekend

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sun May 7 20:26:54 CDT 2017

We recently enjoyed our 4th (I think) Lac qui Parle Weekend, and had a good
birding experience, as always. Thanks, to Ken Larsen and the other guides,
who know the local birding spots and often scout in advance to know what
species might be current at different sites. Their job was especially
difficult this year, because high water made some of the usual water bodies
less receptive to the shorebirds we all wanted; they had to find instead,
some more ephemeral resources.  Also circumstances made some of the
songbirds more scarce than normal. That said, any 2-day event that delivers
21 First-of-Year species is a winner, especially when it includes the likes
of Black-necked Stilt, Golden Plovers, and Upland Sandpipers.
I'm wondering about the species we often saw on this weekend that were
absent this year. Did they blow by early? Was their arrival delayed? (I
notice from reports that we did see a few species up there that I hadn't
yet seen here in the metro.)
Linda Whyte