[Mnbird] Seeking Binoculars - Youth birders in developing countries

Amy Simso Dean mamabirdmn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 14:09:55 CDT 2017

Hello MN birders,

I am looking for binoculars for kids in Azerbaijan.

I recently connected with a birder in Sweden who runs programs for youth in developing nations. I'm hoping to collect new/used binoculars to support these efforts.

If you have an old pair sitting around you’d be willing to donate, or if you’d like to donate some funds to help, please email me at ASimsoDean at gmail.com <mailto:ASimsoDean at gmail.com>. It’s not tax deductible, but it is for a great cause.

Tomas and I connected when I posted a picture on Facebook of my suitcase full of binoculars all cleaned up after ending up my Spring youth BirdClub sessions.

Here is what he wrote to me…
"Several projects are running in developing countries where we have enthusiastic young naturalists but they lack equipment such as binos. I lead one such initiative in Azerbaijan where the binos on the photo would make a HUGE difference, if they or others are available…?”

This a completely wild hair idea I decided to pursue. But, if I can help inspire just a few kids to become birders, naturalists, environmentalists or conservationists, it will be well worth it.

The MN birding community has been a huge help to me as I was launching my MYBirdClub (MN Youth BirdClub after school programs). People gave me ideas, donations and suggestions. And now I’m doing so again. I also will be applying for some grants etc., (maybe I can do even more to help other programs other places).

Thank you to the admin for letting me post this to this group.

Happy Birding!
Amy Simso Dean
MYBirdClub
Minneapolis