[Mnbird] curious chickadee behavior

Susan Kennedy smkennedy_mn at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 19:36:17 CDT 2017

Every year, for many years, I have a chickadee brood and a wren brood in houses on my small city lot.  Usually the chickadees are fledged or almost fledged by the time the wren arrives.  And when the wren arrives, he claims the three bird houses on the property, including the one the chickadees used. However, this year the chickadees didn't get started until after the wren arrived.  The wren allowed the chickadees to fledge, and had his own family in another of the houses.  However, while the chickadees were using the nest box, and for weeks afterward, a chickadee adult would peek inside the other two houses on the property, including the one the wren was using.  Even now, I see the chickadee peeking in the various boxes, long after the two families have fledged.
Susan Kennedy in Minneapolis