[Mnbird] White-fronted Red-tailed Hawks, Inver Grove Hts, Dakota Co

Molly Miller Johnson johnson-miller at msn.com
Mon Jan 9 13:09:30 CST 2017

Just wanted to mention that we have two Red-tailed Hawks that have very white breasts, here in outer Inver Grove Heights. Their belly-bands are whispy, darkish streaks basically only visible with binoculars. Their backs are normal, mottled looking. They hang out in the area where US-52 and US-55 diverge/converge, from Concord Street up to about 70th Street. They come down Barnes Avenue to around 100th Street.

We also have a Red-tailed Hawk with a very dark, pronounced belly-band. It hangs out a bit more on the northern edge of of the white-fronted hawks territory--and farther north.

Through the years this area has hosted Rough-legged Hawks (including a "black" one), Red-shouldered Hawks (one especially comfortable at the Inver Glen Library, just south of 80th), Broad-winged Hawks, and Bald Eagles. We've also had Osprey trying to nest on the platform in the pond by Inver Grove City Hall (just south of 80th).

Just the other day my husband saw one of the Red-tailed Hawks zip in front of his car, coming from the pond side of Barnes Avenue, and dive for food on the Hwy 52 side of the road. His initial reaction was that it was a Snowy Owl because all he saw was the white bottom; as it dove he could see the brown. It's nice to have birdy diversions in the winter!

Molly Jo Miller

Inver Grove Hts

Dakota Co.