[Mnbird] woodpeckers pecking

Betsy Kerr bjkerr at umn.edu
Sat Oct 22 14:44:28 CDT 2016

Thanks for all the responses to my earlier post.  I was intending to go out
this morning and remove the hole reducer, as suggested by one respondent,
but to my great surprise, I found that it was too late!  See the photo
attached for the result of the Downy's continued pecking--another big
hole!  He had obviously tried to enlarge the existing hole but got
frustrated due to the metal sizer.  But I know that he could fit in the
hole as it was!  I guess it's just one of those instinctive behaviors that
they have to do at this time of year.

I thought I had heard of all the proposed solutions for damage to cedar
siding, but I had not heard of the 'bongo boxes' suggested on the dnr site
(a long wooden box, open on the top and bottom).  I think my sister will
try some of those next Spring.

Betsy Kerr
Golden Valley, MN