[Mnbird] woodpeckers pecking question

Betsy Kerr bjkerr at umn.edu
Thu Oct 20 13:32:23 CDT 2016

Woodpeckers are currently pecking large holes in my sister's cedar-sided
home in Pennsylvania, as they do every Spring and Fall.  At the same time,
a male Downy WP has been continually pecking every morning on the face of
one of our Bluebird houses (including on the metal hole guard).  A
female--I presume, his partner--has regularly roosted in the past in this
box, as well as in the other one in our yard. My question is, why do they
peck on a birdhouse like this in the Fall?

Betsy Kerr
Golden Valley