[Mnbird] woodcock?

Raymond Faber rfaber at smumn.edu
Sat Oct 1 19:43:39 CDT 2016

At 7:15 tonight, sitting on my swing to enjoy the fading light, a bird
roughly the size of a bluejay sailed past me.  As it disappeared the
distinctive sound of a peenting woodcock penetrated the air.  And then
there was a faint sound of twittering that I associate with woodcock
displays.  Could it be a woodcock passing through on migration?  10 minutes
later, a screech owl began hooting nearby.  And then the coyotes began
their ritual howling.  Nature speaks at the Faber farm south of Ridgeway.
Enjoy the sounds of nature at this precious time of fall.

On another note, a fellow professor told me today that a ruffed grouse was
found dead outside his home.  He experienced the same thing last year at
this time.  It is common for me to  receive reports of grouse crashing into
windows at this time of year.  It adds evidence to the hypothesis that
grouse are feeding on wild grapes that have started to ferment.  The grouse
are likely "loopy" having ingested alcohol from the grapes.  I'd be
interested to hear from others if you have encountered dead grouse at this
time of year.

Ray Faber

--
Raymond A. Faber, Ph.D.