[Mnbird] recent arrivals, Crosby Park, St. Paul

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sun May 1 22:03:28 CDT 2016

Though there was no sign of last week's N Waterthrush and Hermit Thrushes,
the Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were feeding along the north side of the lakes,
and a Swainson's Thrush was foraging in the wet bottomlands along the
river. House Wrens and E Towhee have joined the numerous Yellow-rumps, Palm
Warblers, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and both male and female Red-winged
Blackbirds seem to be established. There were at least two Great Blue
Herons on the main lake, and also two double-crested Cormorants.
The Barred Owl pair have at least one branching baby out of the nest; a
very concerned dogwalker had found it grounded perilously close to the path
when we met. Its parents were vocalizing and watching anxiously nearby. I
explained that an uninjured fledgling is best left to its parents, though
it's best to put it up out of harm's way. Together we searched for a
suitable tree within reach farther off the parallel paths. The adults
seemed to realize during the process that we posed no threat; they quieted
and watched calmly, flying along overhead when I moved the little one into
the tree. We spent some time rearranging branches and foliage to make the
baby less visible, because the woman was concerned about its vulnerability.
It may not have been necessary, but her care for its well-being was
heart-warming. Hopefully this is one little owl we won't need to see in
Raptor Clinic !
Good birding,
Linda Whyte