[Mnbird] second clutch of wrens

Susan Kennedy smkennedy_mn at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 13:32:11 CDT 2016

 I have two wren houses hanging on either side of my screened porch.  Earlier, the wren family had their first clutch in the north side house, and then, on Friday, the second clutch hatched on the south side.  (I presume this is the same female wren, as I have seen only one.)  When I am on the porch, I sit just 5 feet from the south side house, so I get to see a lot of the action, and the wrens don't worry about me when I am on the porch.  It was interesting that on the hot days, with the sun shining, the female would stick her head out the entrance hole for several seconds and pant with her beak open to cool off.  Now that the  young have hatched, the dad brings tiny insects to the entrance, and very delicately hands the food off to the female, who presumably feeds the young. He can bring several insects in separate trips within just one minute.  And he can sing with an insect in his mouth.  She leaves the nest to gather food as well, and if the male arrives and she is out, he enters the nest box to feed the young himself.  All quite fascinating looks at nature, from the comfort of my own porch.
Susan Kennedy in SW Mpls.