[Mnbird] Long-tailed Duck, Wabasha County

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 15 17:21:56 CST 2016

At about 4:15PM Friday, I spotted a female-type Long-tailed Duck at Minneiska along the Mississippi River near the Winona County line.  Most of the river has iced up, but there are some nice poskets of open water close to the Minnesota shore.  The state line runs quite close to the shore here, and it is likely that the bird started in WI waters, but flew to join a nice mix of divers, including about 50 Canvasback, 20 Lesser Scaup (it was getting too dusky and windy for me to pick out a Greater) and numerous Common Mergansers and Common Goldeneye.  Bennett Ave. parallels Hwy 61.  It was along the western portion of Bennett Ave., near the big blue wall mural (can't miss it) that I was scanning from.
Dedrick BenzWinona, MN