[Mnbird] Back from Duluth

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 9 21:44:18 CST 2016

We had a very successful trip to Duluth today.  All four of us ended up
with at least one lifer and one veteran birder had three lifers.

We started the day at my house with a visit at my feeders by the Tufted
Titmouse.  The drive up was notably quiet with no Red-tailed Hawks and one
Bald Eagle.  The highlight of the drive up was a flock of Redpolls at a
rest area.

We pulled into the parking lot at Canal Park and found a line of about
thirty birders with an exquisite Ivory Gull flying just above the line.
The Ivory Gull hung around for all to see the whole time we were there with
a handful of other gulls cycling in and out.

After about an hour of watching the Ivory Gull we headed up to Reagent and
44th to look for the Golden-crowned Sparrow.  We were just about to leave,
when a local Brrridathon Team stopped by and with their encouragement we
stayed until the bird honored us with an appearance.

After an enjoyable lunch at the nearby New London Cafe, we cruised Brighton
Beach finding only a few Common Goldeneye.  We then headed across the
bridge finding a Gyrfalcon at the Peavey Elevators and then a Snowy Owl at
Menards.

We were successful in finding all of our target birds, but our wanderings
found nothing of note.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net