[Mnbird] MVNWR - Wilkie Unit - 2/27/2016

CRAIG MANDEL egretcman at msn.com
Sat Feb 27 12:24:55 CST 2016

2/27/2016

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge
Wilkie Unit
8:00 - 11:00 am

Bird Walk

Had an enjoyable walk at the Wilkie Unit this morning.  With lots of Waterfowl and some singing song birds.  There were some flocks of Canada Geese that we observed migrating through and the pair of Bald Eagles were on there nest on the SE side of Fisher Lake.  There's a large area of open water on Blue Lake and we observed 10 species of Waterfowl there.

Here are a few of the species we observed on the walk:
Trumpeter Swan
Gadwall
Northern Shoveler
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
American Tree Sparrow

Craig Mandel
Minnetonka, Hennepin County
EgretCMan at msn.com

We will also have walks at the Refuge in March on the following dates:
March 5 - Saturday - Bass Ponds
March 19 - Saturday - Rapids Lake Unit
March 28 - Monday - Bass Ponds
All these walks begin at 8:00 am.  There are no fee's charged for these walks and they are open to the public.