[Mnbird] Brown Creeper with possible parasite/Rice Co.

dan&erika danerika at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 09:41:16 CST 2016

​In Northfield, o​
n Thursday, Erika and I watched as a Brown Creeper “froze” on a tree trunk,
perhaps in response to the Sharp-shinned Hawk that patrols our back woods.
Creepers are known to do that. I took a photo for this morning’s blog:
http://dantallmansbirdblog.blogspot.com.

According to “The Birds of North America,” parasites have not been reported
from Brown Creepers. (Who has looked?) If you examine my photograph
(perhaps by enlarging it on your computer screen), you may notice a tick or
possibly a feather mite. This parasite is embedded in the bird’s head
between the bill and the eye.

dan

--
Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota
danerika at gmail.com

http://dantallmansbirdblog.blogspot.com

".... the best shod travel with wet feet...Beware of all enterprises that
require new clothes ....”—H. D. Thoreau