[Mnbird] Hennepin County - MVNWR - Bass Ponds - Bird walk summary - 8/8/2016

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Mon Aug 8 12:53:54 CDT 2016

8/8/2016

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge

Long Meadow Lake Unit

Bass Ponds - Trailhead

Bird Walk - Summary

While co-leading a walk at the Bass Ponds this morning with Brianne Keehan, our group found an immature Yellow-crowned Night-Heron.  The bird was observed at 8:10 am, sitting in a tree on the North side of the first pond you come to on your right.  This area would be visible from the small observation platform on the pond, or on the trail just west of the observation platform.  We observed the bird sitting in the tree for about 15 minutes.  We returned later to the area and were unable to relocate the Heron, but one of the participants likely observed the bird fly and land in the tree line to the West of our initial spot where we observed it.  So its likely still in the area.

Water levels on Long Meadow Lake are still a little high, so there are no mud flats for Shorebirds at this time.

Here's a list of some of the birds we observed on the walk:

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Green Heron

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron