[Mnbird] Vinegar Ridge (Houston County)

Kyle TePoel kctepo00 at smumn.edu
Tue Apr 26 11:25:42 CDT 2016

This morning I hiked at the Vinegar Ridge Recreation Area (part of the
Dorer State Forest) in western Houston County (accessed on River Road a few
miles east of Rushford).  In my experience this is one of the best places
in southeast MN for Ruffed Grouse, Tufted Titmouse, and Eastern Towhee.
Today I almost could not escape the sound of Grouse drumming--perhaps every
30 to 60 seconds for much of the 2 miles I hiked.  Towhees were abundant
and virtually everywhere.  Titmice numbered around 10 or so.

Local breeding birds of note were Brown Thrasher, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher and
Blue-Winged Warbler.  Migrant warblers included Orange-Crowned (several),
Nashville (2), and singles of Yellow-Rumped and a gorgeous Golden-Winged.

Kyle TePoel