[Mnbird] recent arrivals, increasing numbers, American Bittern/ Goodhue and Dakota Counties

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Tue Apr 12 08:02:22 CDT 2016

The past few days' walks have shown increasing numbers of Brown Creepers
and Golden-crowned Kinglets. Yesterday, these species, especially the
former, were out in great number along Colischan Road, north of Red Wing on
the bottom lands of the Cannon and Vermillion rivers. They were doing much
low and ground foraging, joined by more recent arrivals, Ruby-crowned
Kinglets, Hermit Thrushes, Eastern Phoebes, Yellow-rumped Warblers, and
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers.
A stop at 180th Street Marsh revealed increasing numbers of other recent
arrivals. With Curt Rawn, Rob and I counted many more Snipe than I'd seen
previously: 23, in fact, when we began more diligent eyeing of the grassy
areas in and around the west shoreline of the NE body of water, next to the
road. The camouflage at work was formidable, but we finally realized many
of the Snipe were hunkered down and resting, and learned to recognize the
immobile ones as well as the foragers.
But perhaps the most fun find there, was the American Bittern, seen toward
the back of that same grassy area. It was hunting a frog, which it
eventually caught. It struggled mightily to subdue its meal and swallow it.
We never did see the final consumption, as the Bittern flew off with its
prize, into the tall grasses on the east shore. Meanwhile a few Lesser
Yellowlegs joined the party, and seemed to have an easier time of eating.
Hopefully, the weather will be heating up, along with migration.
Linda Whyte