[Mnbird] Snow Buntings, Great Western Industrial Park, Dakota Cty

Laura Coble shearwater45 at frontiernet.net
Thu Oct 29 18:24:53 CDT 2015

On a very slow birding day, I was  pleased to see a small flock of first winter and adult Snow Buntings around 5 pm at the GWI Park north of Randolph.  The park is increasingly changing, with development near the Hwy 56 entrance and at different spots on the west side.

For those who are wondering, here is some information from our local newspaper about Lake Byllesby:

The earlier and much greater drawdown two weeks before October 1st was because repairs are needed for the Dakota County Dam.  Improvements include "repairing some bedrock, repairing the existing concrete face of the dam, adding piers and a bridge over the overflow structure, and repairing the existing gate and intake systems".  A refill will start on 11/21/15, & end on 12/15/15, or until the lake is at its “normal" winter level (848 ft. above sea level).  Repairs on the dam will continue until Spring. The lake is now more shallow than it has been for a very long time on both the Dakota and Goodhue sides.

It was great to have shorebirds back this year for a short time, although next year’s drawdown will likely be back to Oct.1st, depending on water depth.

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls