[Mnbird] Sandhill Cranes, Sherburne NWR

Erika Sitz esitz at goldengate.net
Sat Oct 24 23:10:38 CDT 2015

We counted more than 1000 Sandhill Cranes today along CR-3 and CR-70 in the
northwest corner.   That's a conservative count, because they were already
flying in to roost when we arrived (late) at 5:30pm.  Also, it is difficult
to keep track of cranes flying in from the west (far south of these roads).
Most were in the air, but a few were still feeding when we first got there
and checked out some of the farm roads north of CR-3.   The show is
definitely on - wonder how long they'll stick around.

I tried to check the Refuge website to see if there were results of the
weekly(?) counts posted there, but had trouble bringing it up.

Erika Sitz

Ramsey, north Anoka County