[Mnbird] Brownsville swan and waterfowl update, 11/29

Refsnider refsn001 at umn.edu
Mon Nov 30 12:00:30 CST 2015

Maureen and I visited the two Mississippi River overlooks near
Brownsville yesterday.  We gestimated about 5000 TUNDRA SWANS were there
along with a nice mix of other waterfowl.  More swans were seen from the
northernmost (larger overlook), while the southern overlook had a
slightly greater waterfowl diversity.  A scope is needed to see some of
the species listed below, but many were very close to shore.  Very
little ice was present.  Other species of note:

WHITE PELICANS - 15-20 fairly far out from the northern overlook,
visible with 8x
CANADIAN GEESE
MALLARDS
AMERICAN WIGEON - numerous, many close to shore at both overlooks
NORTHERN PINTAIL - several dozen, more at southern overlook
GREEN-WINGED TEAL - 3 males
COMMON GOLDENEYE - very numerous, mostly far out
RING-NECKED DUCK - numerous
BUFFLEHEAD - over a dozen seen, all very far out
SCAUP - mostly far out
BLACK DUCK - 1, near shore with mallards, north overlook (I think)
CANVASBACK - 15+, most at the south overlook, close to shore
GADWALL - several dozen
COOTS - a few at the south overlook
HOODED MERGANSER - several dozen, most at south overlook
BALD EAGLES - easily counted over 125 at north overlook, many more elsewhere
NORTHERN HARRIER - 1 female
BELTED KINGFISHER - 1 at south overlook
PILEATED WOODPECKER - 1 flew past south overlook

Ron Refsnider