[Mnbird] Strange House Finch Still Around

Roger Everhart everhart at blackhole.com
Sat Nov 28 19:08:59 CST 2015

Hey everyone,

  Three weeks ago I had a strange bird show up at my feeders that appeared to be an aberrant House Finch. Many kind folks replied with their opinions and the majority also thought it is a House Finch. Well the little imp is still around and today I got a much better photo that I posted at:

http://minnesotabirdnerd.blogspot.com

 My new question isn't about species ID, it is about the mechanism that caused the strange look. If anyone wants to enlighten me I would be most interested. Hopefully it is a local resident and maybe next spring I'll have a shot at putting a band on it. Until then, I'd love to hear opinions from the group.

Roger Everhart

Apple Valley, MN