[Mnbird] Reports on Swans at Brownsville Overlook; WI DNR Surveys

Refsnider refsn001 at umn.edu
Sat Nov 28 08:18:27 CST 2015

I want to thank the numerous folks who provided information on recent
Tundra Swan numbers at Brownsville.  The numbers are encouraging, so my
wife and I are planning to drive down there tomorrow.

The most recent report was from Alan Stankevitz who was at the overlook
on Friday and estimated 10,000 swans and lots of ducks. He believes swan
numbers are at, or slightly past, their peak for this year.  He said the
river was still completely open and there was a lot of waterfowl
activity to see.

Alan also said he had been told that Wisconsin DNR was doing aerial
waterfowl surveys and was posting results somewhere on there website.  I
followed up on this and found the results from three of their bi-weekly
surveys at:
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/wfsurveys.html

Their most recent survey was Nov. 20, with 5080 tundras in Pool 8, but
only 500 in the Wisconsin Islands Closed Area of Pool 8, where the
Brownsville Overlook is located.  So it looks like swan numbers
increased from 11/20 to 11/27, when Alan was at the Overlook.

Other folks told me about lots of tundra swans at Weaver Bottoms and a
large flock at the upstream (west) end of Lake Byllesby.

Our thanks to all who responded to my RFI.
Ron Refsnider
Coon Rapids, MN