[Mnbird] Swan Numbers at Brownsville Overlook?

Refsnider refsn001 at umn.edu
Fri Nov 27 15:24:13 CST 2015

Can anyone pass along some recent (last few days) information on tundra
swan numbers in the vicinity of the Brownsville Overlook on the Upper
Miss Refuge?

USFWS is no longer conducting and posting weekly fall waterfowl surveys
along the River, and the volunteer who answered the phone at the La
Crosse District really couldn't provide any useful information.  It's
become hard to get info on the tundra swan migration.  I'd like to head
down to Brownsville this weekend, but I'm wondering if there are
sufficient swan and duck numbers to justify the drive from the north
Metro.  Personally, I haven'tyetseen or heard a flock of tundras this fall.

It's too bad that USFWS has discontinued the surveys.  They were a very
useful way to follow the progression of the waterfowl migration along
the Upper Miss. NWR.  Budget cuts?

Ron Refsnider