[Mnbird] Osprey in St. Paul

heather keena birdwing at comcast.net
Mon Nov 2 20:28:36 CST 2015

When I got home today there was a giant ruckus of maybe 15 crows high in a cottonwood tree making lots of noise. I went into the back yard and there was a giant Osprey perched in the highest part of the tree.
I’ve never seen one so maybe they’re always giant but this one was over 2 feet when perching. He was completely unfazed by the crows yelling at and dive bombing him.

We’re in Mounds Park very near the river and often have Bald Eagles landing in this same tree and flying over. The Osprey seemed to be nearly as big as an Eagle. Is it uncommon to see Osprey this time of year? We’ve lived here 15 years and have never seen one at all.