[Mnbird] Lake Byllesby shorebirds today

Laura Coble shearwater45 at frontiernet.net
Thu May 14 18:37:11 CDT 2015

Finally, today between 3:45 and 4:30 pm, I saw hundreds of shorebirds at Lake Byllesby, spread out from Lakeside Cemetery to the far west end. Most of you have seen a greater variety of species at Bass Ponds, 180th St., and elsewhere by now,  but I am pleased that the Lake Byllesby extensive shorebird habitat has attracted a larger number of shorebirds at last!  It was good to see so many of them, plus hundreds of Tree and Barn Swallows, which were snapping up recently hatched insects in the rain.

Wilson's Phalarope 8
Dowitcher species 4
Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs:  many
Pectoral Sandpiper:  many
Semipalmated and Least Sandpiper:  many

The light rain became heavier soon, so I had to leave.

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls