[Mnbird] Birding about the Metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 31 01:50:48 CDT 2015

Two Sandhill Cranes were heard and seen flying ENE over Fairview Lakes
Hospital south of Wyoming.  I assume they were local birds as they were
just a pair and not with a flock.

I found 14 species of waterfowl at 180th Street Marsh in Dakota Co
including Ruddy Ducks and puttering, courting Hooded Mergansers.
Red-winged Blackbirds were on territories, but I only saw males.  I heard
one Eastern Meadowlark and heard from a local that he had two Meadowlarks
on his farm about a mile away.  He also had a large flock of Swans
(Tundras) flying over today.  I was really impressed and envious when he
pulled out his Swarovski's.  He had to have them repaired a few years ago,
when he left them in his truck with a young dog.  They fixed the binoculars
at no cost and sent him a chew toy for the dog.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net