[Mnbird] Eurasian Wigeon - Jackson County - 3/26/15

CRAIG MANDEL egretcman at msn.com
Fri Mar 27 05:42:45 CDT 2015

3/26/15

While leading a MRVAC trip to Southwestern Minnesota, our group observed a male Eurasian Wigeon in Jackson county.  The bird was first observed in a small wetland in the NW corner of the intersection of CR 86 (930th Street) and CR 9, which is about 2 miles North of the town of Heron Lake.  The bird was observed from about 8:30 to 8:45 am, at which time a group of waterfowl left the small pond and we were unable to relocate the Eurasian Wigeon after that.

Other birds in Nobles and Jackson county, included 22 species of Waterfowl, Gray Partridge, Lapland Longspur, Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Cardinal, Western Meadowlark and Rusty Blackbird.

Except for a few small ponds and the edges of a couple lakes, the lakes were all ice free and there was no snow cover.  Water levels are low with lots of exposed mud flats.

Craig Mandel
Minnetonka, Hennepin County
EgretCMan at msn.com