[Mnbird] More on w. Lake Byllesby

Julie Maxson jmaxson at mac.com
Mon Mar 16 20:46:15 CDT 2015

The squeaky sound of a flock of white-fronted geese overhead drew me to the boat launch on the Goodhue side at the west end of Lake Byllesby this morning around 10.  A short walk west through the woods led to a full view of thousands of waterfowl.  My duck identification skills took great leaps forward this morning with the variety of species there.  Here is the list, though I probably missed a few from that distance.

C mergansers
Coots
Pintails
C goldeneyes
White fronted geese
Green winged teals
Snow goose (just one, among the ducks)
Greater scaup
Redheads

The ponds at the Randolph Industrial Park gave a closer view of these FOY’s (the widgeon is a new life lister for me).
Chipping sparrow
American Widgeon
Redhead
Canvasback