[Mnbird] This years yard reproduction

John Hamer johndhamer at outlook.com
Sun Jul 26 16:33:36 CDT 2015

We have two large basswoods in the front yard.  In one of them the white breasted nuthatch fledged a group of young.  It was interesting watching them fend off squirrels.  They would partially raise their wings and flutter them.  It always worked. In the other basswood is the favorite nesting spot for a pileated woodpecker.  Last year something got at the eggs just as they were hatching.  This year I found a half shell about 50 feet away so I assume she was more successful.  I keep a small pile of sticks near some trees and native plants.  The chipping sparrows have fledged a brood three out of the last four years.  They used it again this year.

It is time for my last tree feeding of compost and biochar.

John Hamer

Sent from Windows Mail