[Mnbird] Birding about the metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 16 09:33:14 CDT 2015

About a week ago my neighbors were eating lunch at W A Frost in St. Paul,
when they noticed a bird flying in the restuarant.  It settled down on a
large picture frame on the wall and they realized they were looking at a
Saw Whet Owl.  They convinced the managers to call wildlife rescue people,
who came in and easily captured the docile bird.  I haven't heard anything
about how the owl fared. It is pretty unusual to find a Saw Whet in the
metro area in the summer.

A couple of days I accidentally dislodged a Wood Duck hen from one of our
boxes. She was on 11 eggs.  Hopefully we will see the brood on the lake.

Today I found a hawk siting sentinel on a lamp post along the interstate in
downtown St. Paul.  But, I could see it was not the expected Red-tail, but
a lanky Cooper's.  Later crossing the Washington Avenue bridge I swerved to
avoid hitting something in the road.  Looking back I realized that I just
ran over a suicidal Pigeon calmly walking the road.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net