[Mnbird] NE Minnesota - 1/22-23/15

CRAIG MANDEL egretcman at msn.com
Sat Jan 24 11:31:22 CST 2015

1/22-23/15

Spent some time birding in NE Minnesota with Herb Dingmann, Kim Eckert and Paul Egeland over the last few days.  In addition to the birds previously reported by Kim we found these additional species.

Northern Pintail - Four were still being observed at Canal Park in Duluth.
Rough-legged hawk
Herring Gull, Thayer's Gull, Iceland Gull and Glaucous Gulls were observed at Canal park on the afternoon of the 23rd.  Thanks to all the Duluth birders who helped with the IDs of these birds.
Northern Hawk Owl - 23rd - 1:00 pm - Still present along Jean Duluth Road, North of Kelly J's.
Great Gray Owl - 8:30 - 9:00 am - Admiral Road, just South of the feeding station.
Northern Shrike
Gray Jay
Black-billed Magpie - Just East of Loretta's, along Kelsey Whiteface Road.
Boreal Chickadee - One was observed at the feeding station on Admiral Road, on the 22rd.
Snow Bunting - St. Louis County - CR 7, just North of CR 52.
White-throated Sparrow, Golden-crowned Sparrow and Dark-eyed Junco - All three of these were observed near Jeff Newman's at 44th Avenue East and Regent Street, on the 23rd.
Northern Cardinal - Same location as the Sparrow's.
Pine Grosbeak
Purple Finch
Common Redpoll
Hoary Redpoll - Loretta's feeding station, on the 22nd.
Pine Siskin
American Goldfinch
Evening Grosbeak
On Thursday, we visited Mary Lou's, the Sax-Zim Welcome Center, Morse's and Loretta's Feeding stations and all were very active.

We were unsuccessful in our search for the Common Eider and Black-backed Woodpeckers.

Thanks,

Craig Mandel
Minnetonka, Hennepin County
EgretCMan at msn.com