[Mnbird] more on Christmas Bird Counts

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 5 01:55:25 CST 2015

Hi all,

The 115th Christmas Bird Count is history.  I hope you had the opportunity
to participate.

Rich Peet observed that the results from recent Pine County counts show a
loss of boreal species (Boreal Chickadee, Black-backed WP, No. Three-toed
WP, Gray Jay, Pine Grosbeak, and Evening Grosbeak) that had a decade ago
been regularly been found here.  While I suspect that other counts would
show trends supporting this loss, I doubt that many would have such clear
results.

Just completed the Wabasha count (on Saturday).  As always this is one of
my favorite counts for unexpected species.  This year we clearly had a
responsive calling Townsend's Solitaire along the Zumbrota River.  It may
not be included in the totals as it never came in for a visual.  We may
have had a second one earlier, but it only responded with a few distant
single calls.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net