[Mnbird] Female Merlin

Rick Pertile Mugzy1960 at msn.com
Wed Dec 9 09:41:14 CST 2015

There is a female merlin that has been hunting in the Minneapolis Bryn Mawr meadows area near 394 & Penn ave.  I've been seeing her now for the last two months and guessing with the plentiful supply of avian prey, she won't be moving on too soon.

About 30 minutes ago, I saw her successfully pick off a starling from the flock right from my picture window.  She is now plucking and eating her prey on top of the telephone pole directly across the street.

There are lots of cedar waxwing, robins and of course the starlings that are feeding on the fruit trees, which obviously have keep her interest, not to mention all the neighborhood house sparrow too.

Rick Pertile

Minneapolis, Bryn Mawr