[Mnbird] Waterthrush and Rusty Blackbird

Carol birdminn at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 13 15:13:21 CDT 2015

Visiting the head of trout streams in Winona county, yielded 2 Louisiana Waterthrush today.  One sang its syrupy song intro which is always fun to hear.  Do you think I could see them....not a chance.  It is such a cryptic bird at this time of year with only brown, brown and brown branches, leaves etc.  Even sitting for some time on a log got me nowhere.  Without leaves than can see me too.

On the Mississippi bottomlands,  a Rusty Blackbird flushed from the water margin,  With rounded tail, no wing patch, it was re-found and it belted out its "song".  Many Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers telegraphed all through the woods.

I have been asked about the "driftless" habitat.  On our trout streams (approx 700 miles) are Louisiana Waterthrush, Acadian Flycatcher, Cerulean Warblers, Veery among many others nest here.  It is here that the basically unregulated frac sand mines are changing the landscape.  The "driftless" was not scrapped by the last glacier.
=========
If you read the Minn. Tribune article last week, you will see the huge MN sand mining companies with clout in MN.   WI's huge area of driftless is being dug at an alarming rate by these MN companies.  This is a a huge employment industry.  They dig and run.  Even with the drop in oil, they have found the more frac sand in the well the better the results.   If it weren't for out state parks in the driftless (WW, Beaver Creek and Forestville,) ....... We need help down here.
Call the Governor's office.

Carol