[Mnbird] a crescent of coots: Lake Winona and Prairie Island etc.

C Schumacher whabsh at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 18:55:38 CDT 2015

It seemed like a sign...a crescent formation of sleeping coot on Lake Winona.  When I returned later, the 6 stunning Horned Grebes and 40+ Red-breasted Mergansers and several Ruddy Ducks were new and welcomed arrivals.

> At Prairie Island two Tree Swallow were together on the wire, preening and vocalizing. With pefect light it was fun see American Wigeon than in a long time, many Green-winged Teal, Wood Duck, Ring-necked Duck, N. Shoveler, some Blue-winged Teal, several Lesser Scaup, 2 Canvasback,  finally a few Redhead and of course, Bufflehead, C. Goldeneye, and C. Merganser. The immature Bald Eagles that were strafing yesterday inactive.

Two N. Flickers were calling then displaying,,showing off yellow tail and underwings, before one headed north.  There were several Great Blue Heron today, and increasing daily.
The Ring-billed Gulls had weaker movement today.  Three Turkey Vultures were flying on a bluff corner.

Yesterday the lone find at Lewiston (where "duck grasses" have completely filled it in) was an Eastern Meadowlark, clucking away. So much for creating shorebird habitat which was seriously considered.

Monday riding the ridge and looping around trout streams in New Hartford Township was fun (no Snowy expected or seen).  On a farm pond were a Blue-winged Teal, Wood Duck and Ring-necked Duck and these ponds are predictably and often empty. Several paired Horned Larks flushed but one threesome had it out. American Kestrel were paired, chasing and successful roadside hunts meant females were fed on the wire. Patiently hunting solo males may be already feeding females on the nest. Song Sparrows were singing from every little stick and roadside tree. In the valley a lovely Pileated Woodpecker vocalized and flew in front of my car, sweet and low. Several Tufted Titmouse were calling (as there are loudly at our home) but none seen. No Sandhill Cranes, Wilson's Snipe or Northern Harrier nor Louisiana Waterthrush. Only one E. Phoebe was heard.  Two male Ring-necked Pheasants owned paved roads and they did not waver.  Its happening.

Good birding all around.

Carol Schumacher
On the Mississippi and in our precious driftless habitat ( trout streams and sand prairies) threatened by frac sand mining