[Mnbird] Schaar's Bluff

Linda Whyte linda at moosewoods.us
Thu Apr 2 19:20:54 CDT 2015

Before checking the 180th St. marsh, we did a short walk at Schaar's Bluff.
Our hike was truncated by the tree-cutting for the new bike trail extension
across the north trails, so we were unable to access the outer loop that
winds through the conifers.. Along the path out there, however, we did find
our first-of-year Eastern Phoebe, and I heard Golden-crowned Kinglet. We
also enjoyed a huge flock of American Pelican aloft over the river.
Northern Flickers were foraging on the bluff-top grasses, where we spotted
our first-of-year Brewer's Blackbird. A very active Cooper's Hawk and
several eagles in playful interchange, provided the background sounds along
with the music of Song Sparrows. There were also plenty of Juncos and an
American Tree Sparrow feeding at the woods edge. One of the Juncos seemed
to be of the Canadian Rocky Mountain group; it had the markedly darker
charcoal head and bib, and lighter gray flanks than the regular
Slate-colored Junco.

Linda Whyte