[Mnbird] Snow Geese/Greater White-fronted Geese, Dakota County

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Wed Apr 1 21:49:07 CDT 2015

Around the noon hour today, Laura Coble and I checked for any new arrivals
at the 180th St. marsh. What was there had been seen before:  Kildeer,
Coots, Canadas, Mallards, Scaup, Bufflehead, Blue-winged Teal. Just as we
arrived, a pair of Bald Eagles swooped in, one of them snatching prey of
some kind and taking it to the far shore to eat. The two remained there
together until a third adult, presumably an interloper, came and was chased
from the scene. Meanwhile, the waterfowl the eagles had startled into the
ai,r gradually returned. with a couple of Turkey Vultures in aerial
attendance
We turned to leave, but quickly heard the unmistakable sound of Snow Geese
. A flock of around 250 of them were passing fairly low overhead, their
white plumage flashing in the sun, black wing-tips standing out in
contrast. We watched them rise higher, circling, forming a few skeins, and
heading NW. Just then, a second flock was heard overhead---around 150
Greater-White-fronted Geese. These circled down and settled on the main
lake, fairly close to the road.
After a satisfying scope-look, we proceeded to Randolph and Lake Byllesby,
The mudflats there were extensive, but there was no sign of shorebirds.
Instead, we enjoyed nice scope looks at the numerous Green-winged Teal
among the Northern Shovelers at the west end, to the chorus of returning
Song Sparrows.
An hour's hiking exercise at Carlton Arboretum capped the day with a
First-of-Year look at a Golden Crowned Kinglet, whose presence overlapped
that of a huge flock of departing Juncos feeding under the conifers.
Linda Whyte